This second session began as participants collaboratively reviewed their between sessions task (drafts a writing lesson using a resources from session one). Participants then explored instructional moves to support classroom writing, engaged with the Nevada DOE and SBACC writing rubrics, drafted mini-lessons for writing, and read various published materials on how to better support formative assessment of writing.
Materials for this session are linked below.
- Presentation deck in PDF and Keynote
- Instructional Shifts for ELA/Literacy
- 5th Grade Writing Samples (from In Common samples) for Opinion
- CCSS ELA/Literacy Anchor Standards for Writing
- From Reading to Writing: Super Annotator, Annotating for C - R - E
- Article, "Writing Revolution", Excerpted and Original
- SBACC Writing Rubrics for Opinion (Grades 3-5), Informative (Grades 3-5), and Narrative (3-8) (from Nevada Dept. of Education Evaluation Guides)
- Writing Rubrics for K-3
- Mini-Lessons to Support Writing
- Informing Writing: The Benefits of Formative Assessment (excerpt and full report)
- Moving Away from Sucker Punch Grading excerpt