This first session began as participants used print and video content as well as student writing samples to explore the Instructional Shifts and Common Core Standards for Writing. Participants then reviewed instructional supports to move from reading to writing and an instructional move, Think and Write, that supports students to use evidence from text when writing to inform and writing to persuade. Between this first and second session, teachers will draft (and perhaps teach) a lesson that focuses on writing.
Materials for this session are linked below.
- Presentation deck in PDF and Keynote
- Session I Note-Taker
- Instructional Shifts for ELA/Literacy
- 5th Grade Writing Samples (from In Common samples): Opinion, Narrative, Informational
- 5th Grade Standards for Writing
- From Reading to Writing: Super Annotator, Annotating for C - R - E, Keep It or Junk It
- Article, "Writing Revolution", Excerpted and Original
- Think and Write: "Writing Revolution" and "Black Cowboys, Wild Horses" and CRE Terms and Sentence Starters