History-Social Studies teachers and their administrators gathered Thursday for the second session of Shifting Instruction to the Core. Participants continued their focus on the Instructional Shifts and Instructional Practice Guides from their previous session, this time with an emphasis on writing to sources. The session included a reflection on teacher's classroom use of Keep It or Junk It, a review of the Instructional Practice Guides and Argumentative Writing, a careful annotation of "The Writing Revolution", engagement in a lesson model for ranking evidence, and time to apply the lesson to their future lessons. Materials for the session are linked below.
- Presentation deck in PDF
- Reflection Note Taker
- History-Social Studies Writing Standards Grades 9-10
- ELA/Literacy Instructional Shifts
- Annotation Guide: Annotating for Claim-Reasoning-Evidence
- Model lesson for ranking evidence & argumentative paragraph writing
- Session II Instructional Moves